Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Update on Caleb

This Memorial Day weekend Caleb was very sick. He woke up Friday morning around 6 AM throwing up. He went back to sleep and woke up again around 8 AM and threw up again. He continued from 8 AM on throwing up every 30-45 minutes. He finally fell asleep around 1 PM or so and slept for about 1 1/2 hours. Once he woke up though, he started throwing up again. We finally decided to go to the ER around 6 PM because he wasn't holding anything at all down. He would want some water occasionally but nothing other than that. We don't have anti-nausea or vomiting medicines here in the store so all we could chose from was Children's Pepto which he refused to take or look at. We arrived at the ER and the nurse gave Caleb some Zofran (anti-nausea and vomiting medicine) and about 5 minutes later he threw up again but after that he was finished. He went about 12-18 hours and started all over again. We made it through Saturday night and went until Sunday around 5 PM before taking him back to the ER again. The doctor that night finally gave us a prescription for Zofran and we were golden after that. Daniel had to work that night so it was just me and Caleb. I'm so glad Caleb made it through the rest of the night without any hurting or any more throwing up. We got home around 10 PM and he crashed.
.
He woke up Monday morning feeling okay. He said he needed to throw up but didn't. Instead when he went to "stinky" in the potty we discovered he had diarrhea. This lasted until Tuesday night. Wednesday morning we went to see the doctor and she said he seemed perfect and hoped everything would be fine. Yeah, ME TOO! Wednesday he had a great day at school and came home and stayed in a normal routine for the rest of the night.
.
Well, we got up Thursday and he was so ill and cranky. He was crying non-stop and wouldn't stop whining. He was crying about random things so I had no clue what was going on. This lasted about an hour and he finally finished up after tantrums and all. He then said he had to stinky and once we got there he couldn't. He was screaming and saying his belly hurt. I figured it'd take a few minutes and he'd be fine and something would pass, but I'm not that lucky. He refused to get off the potty because he needed to use it and wouldn't stop crying because of the pain he was in. I was able to call the nurse at the pediatrician's office and she told me to try and put him in a warm bath and let him go in there. Yeah right, that's a great idea!! She also mentioned that if the bath didn't help that I should take him into the ER because they had no available appointments that day. I finally decided after 45-50 minutes of him trying to use the bathroom and not being able to, I'd do the bath. I ran the water and he was telling me no the entire time. I tried to encourage him to go in the bath tub, although it's normally NEVER allowed. He's never even attempted to do that so he wasn't wanting to start now. I let him sit for around 30 minutes or so and he calmed down a lot but wouldn't go or even try to go. He started screaming again needing to potty so I put him on there and nothing happened. He finally let me get him down and we were off once again to the ER. There's also no other medicines or glycerin suppositories here in the store that he could or would take to help him pass a BM so I had no other options. I also didn't want to do a laxative because it'd cause cramping and I wasn't 100% sure that he didn't swallow something and it was now trying to pass, so I wanted an x-ray taken to make sure it was nothing more than him being constipated. After a couple of hours we took the x-ray and a few hours after that we were told it was nothing other than Caleb being constipated and were able to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy for suppositories and stool softener to help everything along. He hated it all and I felt so bad because he was in so much pain. He was such a trooper though and refused to use the bathroom anywhere else other than the potty. He told me that he couldn't go in his pants (I had him in a pull-up just in case) that he needed to only go in the potty. He was finally able to go about 2 hours once we gave him the suppository and after that we had supper and did bath time and bed time. All in all, it's been a long night and an even longer weekend and week. I'm hoping that Caleb wakes up tomorrow feeling much better but we'll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment